It is more important than ever that applicants for pupillage are as prepared as possible for each stage of the application process.
We have compiled below some of the questions that committee members and other Middle Templars have been asked in the past by pupillage panels.
Legal and Ethical Questions
- Tell us about a recent case you have been interested in?
- What is your favourite case that you have learnt about?
- What is your favourite piece of legislation?
- Which area of law would you reform and why?
- What new piece of legislation would you pass?
- Tell us about a recent piece of news that caught your eye and its implications for barristers?
- Do you agree with UN intervention?
- Would you torture someone to save the lives of others?
- What is the most important English legal principle?
- Could you defend someone you know is guilty?
- Prosecution or defence work? Why?
- Do you agree with the death penalty?
- Is compensation culture detrimental to society?
- Do you agree with the legalisation of drugs?
- Should court proceedings be televised?
- What changes would you make to the criminal justice system?
- What are your thoughts on the recent reforms to Criminal and Civil Legal Aid?
Questions about the Legal Profession
- Is there a future for the bar?
- Should barristers wear wigs and gowns?
- What challenges face the modern bar?
- Do you agree with the separation of lawyers/barristers?
- Why should we pick you?
- What have you done that will prepare you for life at the bar?
- What unique experience have you had that will prepare you?
- What can you bring to Chambers that other candidates can’t?
- Why have you applied to this Chambers?
- Which subjects did you enjoy most/least at university and why?
- Why did you pick your university?
- Tell us about your university experience?
- When did you realise you wanted to practice law?
- When did you realise you want to be a barrister?
- Why do you want to be a barrister?
- Why don’t you want to be a solicitor?
Questions related to the BPTC
- How did you find the BPTC?
- What was your favourite/least favourite part of the course?
- Why did you choose that BPTC provider?
- What did you learn on your last mini-pupillage?
- What was the best/worst thing about your latest mini-pupillage?
- What was the hardest thing you had to do on a mini-pupillage?
- Tell us about a great piece of advocacy you have seen and what made it great? Tell us about a bad piece of advocacy and why it was bad?
- Do you prefer mooting or debating, and why
- Which historical figures would you invite to a dinner party?
- Which historical figure would you bring back from dead?
- Which cartoon/book/film character would you be?
- What is your favourite book and why?
- What is the last book you read?
- What is your favourite film?
- What are your hobbies?
- What do you do to relax?
- What is your favourite TV programme?
- Which three fictional people you would invite to a party?
- What are the 5 most important skills a barrister needs? Which order of importance would you put them in?
- Which of those skills is your strongest and why?
- What is your biggest strength/weakness?
- How would your friends describe you?
- Which three words would you use to describe yourself?
- What achievement are you most proud of?
- Have you ever failed anything, i.e. an exam?
- Give us an example of when you have worked in a team?
- Give us an example of when you have acted as a leader?
- Tell us about a moral dilemma you have been faced with and what you did?
- If you had to present on any topic of your choice, what would it be?
- How do you organise your time and assess priorities?
- Give an example of when you used persuasiveness to convince someone of something?